Graduate Programs

The following graduate programs are available through the Music Department. For detailed outlines of program requirements, please click on the links below.

Performer’s Certificate

The program of study leading to the Performer’s Certificate in Music is intended to provide a concentrated course of study in performance for outstanding musicians who have completed a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from a university or music conservatory in the United States or an international equivalent. Under the guidance of artist-teachers, students study applied music, participate in chamber music, repertory/coaching (voice), and perform in a major ensemble.

The Performer’s Certificate is intended to be completed in one academic year (in consecutive fall and spring semesters). Nine credits are required in the Fall semester and three in the Spring, for a total of twelve credits. Credits earned in a certificate program may not be applied later to any degree program at the University of Connecticut. Specific information on the types of Performer’s Certificates, listed below, is available in the Handbook for Graduate Music Students.

Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion
Graduate Conducting


Master of Music Degree (M.M.)


Performance (instrumental or vocal)
Instrumental Conducting
Choral Conducting


Master of Arts Degree (M.A.)


Historical Musicology
Music Theory


Doctor of Musical Arts Degree (D.M.A.)


Instrumental Performance
Vocal Performance


Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Ph.D.)


Music Theory and History



Applicants to the M.M., M.A. and Performer’s Certificate programs must have an earned undergraduate degree and a high level of achievement in the area of concentration. Applicants to the D.M.A. and Ph.D. programs must have an earned master’s degree and a superior level of achievement in the area of concentration, plus excellent research skills and the ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English. Strong academic preparation is expected of all degree students, including those in performance. Only the Performer’s Certificate program does not require academic course work.