MUSI 1101: Convocation, Concert, and Recital Repertoire
Spring 2023– Fridays, 1:25–2:15, von der Mehden Recital Hall
Required of all undergraduate music majors every semester of residence. Zero credit. Students receive a final grade of S (satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory).
Dr. Eric Rice; office hours: Fridays, 2:30pm-3:30pm or by appointment;
Office: Backstage von der Mehden Recital Hall; ext: 6-3728; email@example.com
Attendance as a listener and/or performer of ten (10) convocations is required. Student attendance is recorded by scanning QR codes at the beginning and end of convocation. Scanning is not available after 1:35 or before 2:05. All students will be provided with a QR Code that will be used throughout their time at the UConn Music Department. Anyone experiencing difficulty in meeting the attendance requirement is urged to see Dr. Rice early to arrange a substitute requirement.
Attendance of a music department concert outside your performance medium area (i.e., attending a brass recital if you are a singer, jazz concert if you are a violinist, etc.) will equal attendance at one convocation. You must bring us a program signed by a faculty member to receive convocation credit or send a picture of yourself at the performance to firstname.lastname@example.org. When master classes occur outside of the regular convocation schedule, you may attend these and substitute them for attendance at convocation, but only for master classes outside your performance area. You must present the Program Assistant with a copy of the master class program signed by a faculty member to confirm your attendance or send a picture of yourself at the performance to email@example.com.
Undergraduate Performance Requirement
- Four performances (strive for one each year), in Convocations and/or elective recitals, are required for graduation. Degree recitals are required in addition to these appearances. Performances must be on one’s primary instrument and approved by the teacher or coach.
- Students must perform twice as a soloist and twice as a chamber musician, i.e., an unconducted ensemble with one instrument or voice per part.
- Students may substitute one conducted performance for a chamber music performance. Student conductors and/or composers may not receive convocation performance credit for conducting.
- Convocation Agreement forms must be completed at least one week prior to the earliest appearance date requested. Forms must be signed by all performers—including accompanists and other collaborators—and a private teacher or coach in the case of chamber performances. If the performance is conducted, a member of the conducting faculty must sign the form.
- Ordinary staging requirements must be communicated to the von der Mehden staff during the hour preceding Convocation. Unusual needs must be made known at the time the form is submitted.
Spring 2023 Convocation Schedule
|January 20th||Introduction to Convocation|
|January 27th||Hans Jensen - "How to Practice" Lecture|
|February 3rd||Ezekiel's Wheels Klezmer Band|
|February 10th||High School Jazz Festival|
|February 17th||Dr. Daniel Goldberg, Bulgarian Dance|
|February 24th||Sea Shanties in Practice, Captain Eric Rice|
|March 31st||Shih-Hui Chen Lecture|
|April 7th||Coast Guard Saxophone Quartet|
|April 14th||Student Performances|
|April 21st||Student Performances|
|April 28th||Student performances|