MUSI 1101: Convocation, Concert, and Recital Repertoire
Fall 2020 – Fridays, 1:25–2:15, von der Mehden Recital Hall
Required of all undergraduate music majors every semester of residence. Zero credit. Students receive a final grade of S (satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory).
Dr. Eric Rice; office hours: Fridays, 2:30pm-3:30pm or by appointment;
Office: Backstage von der Mehden Recital Hall; ext: 6-3728; firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendance as a listener and/or performer of ten (10) convocations is required. Student attendance is recorded on dated slips distributed upon entering the hall and submitted upon exiting. No slips are available after 1:35 or collected before 2:05, except that slips will be collected earlier if the class ends earlier. Only one slip per person will be accepted. Anyone experiencing difficulty in meeting the attendance requirement is urged to see Dr. Rice early to arrange a substitute requirement.
Attendance of a music department concert outside your performance medium area (i.e., attending a brass recital if you are a singer, jazz concert if you are a violinist, etc.) will equal attendance at one convocation. You must bring us a program signed by a faculty member to receive convocation credit. When master classes occur outside of the regular convocation schedule, you may attend these and substitute them for attendance at convocation, but only for master classes outside your performance area. You must present the Program Assistant with a copy of the master class program signed by a faculty member to confirm your attendance.
Undergraduate Performance Requirement
- Four performances (strive for one each year), in Convocations and/or elective recitals, are required for graduation. Degree recitals are required in addition to these appearances. Performances must be on one’s primary instrument and approved by the teacher or coach.
- Students must perform twice as a soloist and twice as a chamber musician, i.e., an unconducted ensemble with one instrument or voice per part.
- Students may substitute one conducted performance for a chamber music performance. Student conductors and/or composers may not receive convocation performance credit for conducting.
- Convocation Agreement forms must be completed at least one week prior to the earliest appearance date requested. Forms must be signed by all performers—including accompanists and other collaborators—and a private teacher or coach in the case of chamber performances. If the performance is conducted, a member of the conducting faculty must sign the form.
- Ordinary staging requirements must be communicated to the von der Mehden staff during the hour preceding Convocation. Unusual needs must be made known at the time the form is submitted.
Fall 2020 Convocation Schedule
|September 4th||Introduction to Convocation|
|September 11th||Discussion of John Adam's On the Transmigration of Souls|
|September 18th||Discussion on the film Composed|
|September 25th||The Music of Diverse Composers, presented by Ashley Killam of the Institute for Composer Diversity|
|October 2nd||Angelica Durell, SFA Music '11, Executive Director of INTEMPO|
|October 9th||Enactive Soundscapes: Physio-musical Transformation and Formal Process in the Music of Joni Mitchell, presented by Dr. Peter Kaminsky and Megan Lyons|
|October 23rd||Faculty Profile: A Conversation with Dr. Eric Reed, Instructor of Horn, hosted by Dr. Louis Hanzlik, Professor of Trumpet|
|October 30th||Masterclass with Malcom Bilson, piano|
|November 6th||Rachel Cieplak and Sarah Marze- Honors Music History Presentation|
|November 13th||Student Performances|
|November 20th||Student Performances|
|December 4th||Department Head Forum|