MUSI 1101: Convocation, Concert, and Recital Repertoire
Spring 2023– Fridays, 1:25–2:15, von der Mehden Recital Hall
Required of all undergraduate music majors every semester of residence. Zero credit. Students receive a final grade of S (satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory).
Dr. Eric Rice; office hours: Fridays, 2:30pm-3:30pm or by appointment;
Office: Backstage von der Mehden Recital Hall; ext: 6-3728; email@example.com
Attendance as a listener and/or performer of ten (10) convocations is required. Convocation participation will now be recorded via iClicker instead of QR code scanning. If you do not already have an iClicker account, please download the app and sign up for an account now. You must use your UConn email and netID for your iClicker account in order for your participation to be recorded through the HuskyCT page for Convocation. The app is free when used solely for participation attendance, so you do not need to purchase the paid version. Anyone experiencing difficulty in meeting the attendance requirement is urged to see Dr. Rice early to arrange a substitute requirement.
Attendance of a music department concert outside your performance medium area (i.e., attending a brass recital if you are a singer, jazz concert if you are a violinist, etc.) will equal attendance at one convocation. You must bring us a program signed by a faculty member to receive convocation credit or send a picture of yourself at the performance to firstname.lastname@example.org. When master classes occur outside of the regular convocation schedule, you may attend these and substitute them for attendance at convocation, but only for master classes outside your performance area. You must present the Program Assistant with a copy of the master class program signed by a faculty member to confirm your attendance or send a picture of yourself at the performance to email@example.com.
Convocation credits earned outside of class are kept track of here!
Undergraduate Performance Requirement
- Four performances (strive for one each year), in Convocations and/or elective recitals, are required for graduation. Degree recitals are required in addition to these appearances. Performances must be on one’s primary instrument and approved by the teacher or coach.
- Students must perform twice as a soloist and twice as a chamber musician, i.e., an unconducted ensemble with one instrument or voice per part.
- Students may substitute one conducted performance for a chamber music performance. Student conductors and/or composers may not receive convocation performance credit for conducting.
- Convocation Agreement forms must be completed at least one week prior to the earliest appearance date requested. Forms must be signed by all performers—including accompanists and other collaborators—and a private teacher or coach in the case of chamber performances. If the performance is conducted, a member of the conducting faculty must sign the form.
- Ordinary staging requirements must be communicated to the von der Mehden staff during the hour preceding Convocation. Unusual needs must be made known at the time the form is submitted.
|High School Jazz Festival
|Liszt B Minor Piano Sonata Lecture Recital with Dr. Javor Bracic
|Stage Acting for Singers - Master Class with Isabel Milenski
|Piano Masterclass with Boris Slutsky, Yale School of Music Faculty